Saturday, February 26, 2011

Mixed Tape, anyone?

Have you seen one of these baby lately?



Well.. not since the birth of ipod, iphone and ipad, I suppose. Heck I have not seen a walkman or discman for a veryyyy long time. Untuk sesiapa yang tak tahu. Benda ni namanya Kaset. Tape. Cassette Tape. It rules sometime in the 80s and early 90s.

I had a great collection of mixed tapes coz I went a great length of getting em all right. Late night patiently waiting by the radio, to hit the Record button at the precise moment, so that the recording is just crisp. Since I live in Johor, I had the best of both world ie all the best Rock Melayu songs from Pilihan Bersama, as well as the latest from the pop charts on Top 40s on the Singapore radio.

Bloody hell it's hard work. I had to scan the newspaper to see what selection of songs will be aired on Pilihan Bersama and had to sit thru the ramblings of the DJs to wait for the song to start. Then I discovered something....

There was this shop in town that can do mixed tape for you. At the same price of a cassette masa tu. Around RM17. Lo and be hold. They can do any songs as long as they have the albums on their shelfs. A cassette could fit around 17 to 18 songs. I remember that I had C.I.N.T.A of XPDC on one side and Baby I Love Your Way by Big Mountain on the other. What a sic choice! Hahahahahahahaha.

These cassette was a great entertainment thru out my teenage years.Zaman sekolah dulu takde duit nak beli bateri selalu, so if nak rewind or foward the tape, kena selit pencil in the kaset and spin it with your hand. Hahahahha. Nak jimat bateri kononnya! I wish I know where they are now. What a treasure!

Anyhoo, the above picture is actally the cover of my iphone. Nice camourflage huh?



It did fool a lot of people. The best yet was after a few days after I use it to take picture at the office. My colleague came to me and said.. "Ohhh it's your phone. I thot it's a new type of camera". We laugh for a good minute. "I must have look stupid to you, holding a cassette like that". Hahahahahahah.

Here's to all of my mixed tape. This song is definitely on one of them (the original of course, not the Fat Boy Slim version). I just heard it on the radio and got me to start to reminise...sighhh

Brimful of Asha - Cornershop

There's dancing behind movie scenes
Behind the movie scenes - Sadi Rani
She's the one that keeps the dream alive,
From the morning, past the evening,
Till the end of the light
Brimful of Asha on the forty-five
Well, it's a brimful of Asha on the forty-five
Brimful of Asha on the forty-five
Well, it's a brimful of Asha on the forty-five
and singing illuminate the main streets and the cinema aisles
We don't care about no government warning
about that promotion of the simple life and the dams they are building

CHORUS
Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow,
everybody needs a bosom
Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow,
everybody needs a bosom
Everybody needs a bosom for a pillow,
everybody needs a bosom

Mine's on the forty-five
Mohammed Ruffi (forty-five)
Lata Mangeshka (forty-five)
solid state radio (forty-five)
ferguson mono (forty-five)
Mon public (forty-five)
Jacques Dutronc and the Bolan Boogies
the Heavy Hitters and the chi chi music
All Indian radio (forty-five)
two in ones (forty-five)
ovvo records (forty-five)
trojan records (forty-five)

CHORUS

CHORUS 2

7-7,000 piece orchestra set
everybody needs a bosom for a pillow mines on the RPM...


* What does this song mean? Read here

2 comments:

ys1 said...

Haha I'm guilty of rewinding my tapes using pencil also... terus flashback babe!

zaimah said...

aaaahh genius ah sarung iphone mcm tuh. mungkin kelihatan odd tapi apakah odd dibandingkan dengan kenangan? (ayat mereng)

dan Pilihan Bersama?? aku sukaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa