Sunday, December 27, 2009

Surreal Gourmet @ 7atenine

My sister won an invite to an afternoon with Bob Blumer. The surreal chef, in the toastmobile. Or toaster van. It's the guy that cooks in the van that looks like a toaster in the show called Surreal Gourmet. Ok you get what I mean. Travel and Living channel was doing this event as part of the new season launch for the show. We were to watch Bob cook and get to taste it afterwards. I like it already.

And... it's being held at 7atenine.. supposedly one of the places to be seen at in KL (err.. but not anymore now that I've been there :P) It's at the lobby of Kirana and Ascott across the street from KLCC.

We were welcome with goody bags. An apron and a book by Bob. We try to ooze cosmopolitan vibe while trying to perch our big ass on the small, yet high and wobbly bar stool. Sipping Strawberry Fanta no less. Sungguh tak sesuai untuk rancangan memasak, ini tempat. We were at the lower level of the club which was open air. Meaning, no aircond and it's 3 pm. Ok panas... nasib ada kipas... and the flowing soft drink (by now I've switched to Pepsi pulak. This is a sure fire for a series of cirit birit later). Mana si Bob ni.

Finally this DJ guy came out with his make-believe-toungue-twisting-American accent. He'll be the MC of the day. Then Bob appeared. Yeay. We can finally eat. Oh not yet... Bob is going to demo/cook while telling us about, what is in store in the episodes of the new season. He broke some sort of a record for flipping pancakes, he almost die while diving for sea urchin? or was it pearl? and... Ok I have short attention span when 1) it's hot and 2) i'm hungry. Bob keeps on facing one after another technical problem... minyak tak panas... kuali pulak panas sangat sampai macam nak terbakar... udang kecik sangat.... Aku pulak risau... eh cukup ke untuk kita semua nak makan ni.....

So finally... the dishes are ready. Cekodok udang rupa macam lolipop cucuk dalam nenas, ayam bungkus macam wantan yang buruk, ada something involving watermelon..and something bebola... tapi ada wasabi ke apatah. To everyone's horror.. the dishes were whisked away by a bunch of people who need to take photographs of it. I think for some magazine or newspaper article.. I saw it it again in the papers. It look far better than it taste. The one with the wasabi was deemed 'sedap-lagi-clorox'.

To everyone's relief, the waiters came out from kitchen, with trays of the dishes. Ha melantak time. However, we had to play cat and mouse pulak with the waiter because the one yang lalu depan kitaorang asyik bawak yang tak sedap aje.

Next it was authograph session with Bob. Oh right... the book. We can also have a poloroid taken with Bob. How fun. Of course we were still eating while everyone starting to queue... Finally it's our turn. My sister went first. I was trying to come up with something clever to tell him. He told us earlier that at the begining of his career as a chef... he did a lot of faking... (berlakon-berlakon pandai masak).. well he said, just fake it till you make it. Eh sounds like me at the office aje...hehehehhe (cume aku tak make it je lagi..)

Ok, my turn now... so while he's signing my book... (I can't believe this came out from my mouth).."So, Bob, how long have you been faking it?"..... After the words floated out of me... I suddenly realize I might have implied something sexual instead. Bloody hellllll..... but keep smiling....He took a look at me, take a deep breath and force a laugh. I laughed as well... and quickly pose for the photo. I thanked him... and walk out from the place never looking back.

Accept when I swipe a pen from the registration counter.

Hahahahahahahahhahaha

4 comments:

mak budak di seremban said...

OMG, kalau aku right after the words rolled off my tongue, mesti terasa macam, Bumi telanlah aku.. or where is that LRT yang nak go off trail and hit me?

Anyway, hahahahahaha.
What a way to start my day.

nigella bites! you said...

sevenatnine minum fanta stroberi je? wtf??? lain kali mkn dulu sblm gi tempat2/ event gini. indah rupa dr rasa :P

Fake It Expert said...

mak budak,

bumi telanlah aku.. was my second thought. Hahahahahha

nigella bites people,
aik takkan nak suruh aku minum bloody mary pulak? ke wine cooler plak hahahha... satu hal pulak kang. But I do agree, kena makan dulu... ingat best la.

malas keje said...

wine cooler... hahahahahahahaha
dah la tangan ada scar yg besar
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah