Thursday, July 8, 2010

Me - Truly Asia

Scene 1 - Grand Palace Bangkok

Police man eyeing oneself suspiciously when one is queuing up in the tourist line, happily holding the entrance ticket. Is this girl mad? Or is she plain disrespectful? Thai citizen can enter for free. And why is she wearing a hues of colors when everyone else is in black, mourning.

Well, she's not Thai. That's why.

Scene 2 - Spa at Soi Nana, Bangkok

Oneself is standing politely while waiting for the receptionist to finish her customery welcome speech in Thai. Oneself answered rather sheepishly "Err.. I don't really understand you, but yeah - Thanks". Of course it will be followed by the ususal 5 minutes 'I'm sorry I thought you were..' apology.

Oneself will however, return to the Spa yet again, as the 2nd time she's there, the receptionist (who actually is the owner of the Spa) remembered her and warmly said "Welcome back, miss!" Besides, much to her dismay, it's the only place in town that understands English.

Scene 3 - Elevator, Office Building, Qatar

Oneself pretending to be deaf and ignoring the fact that the delivery guy is trying to strike up a conversation with her - in Tagalog.

Scene 4 - Souq Wakif, Qatar

Oneself is oblivious of the chatter by the waitress. She only looked up from the Menu when she hear.. "Maam?". Her officemate asked her, did you notice the waitress was speaking to you in Tagalog? "Hahaha.. really? No I didn't". Officemate automatically appointed as spokesperson for queries in Tagalog.

Secne 5 - Hyatt, Qatar

Officemate trying to convince a Philipino staff that oneself is not from the Philipines. How to settle this? "Show her your passport". The staff was surprise that both of them were telling the truth.

Scene 6 - Shoe shop, Dubai

Shop assistance, while bending down looking for the right size for the slipper -"Maam, excuse me, are you Kabayan?"
Oneself " No, I'm not. I'm from Malaysia. Why? Do I look like a Kabayan?"
Shop assistance " 100% maam"

Oneself - rest her case.


I can't remember if anyone thot that I'm an Indonesian before when I was in Bandung or Bali, but I think it did happen once when I was in Malaysia. I followed a friend and her family for a balik kampung trip. One of the makcik there thot I was "anak angkat Indon". My friend laughed her ass off. Ya, laugh away. Despite her very gadis Melayu terakhir name, she looks like 100% Amoi from Tanah Besar.

I think there were once a chinese lady who spoke Mandarin/Cantonese to me back in Batu Pahat. Timkai?

How should I know.

In Ho Chin Minh, I don't think anyone thinks I'm Vietamese. Or they did and I don't remember? Anyway, I don't think that they would since I'm 3 times the size of the normal average people there. Hahah.

So, there you go.

I'm indeed truly asia.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beb, Kabayan tu apa?
Takkan nenek kebayan = nenek indo?